How do you think you did on October's quiz? See the answers, and our grading scale, below...
1. What is the difference between a “forward pass” and a “lateral”?
A FORWARD PASS is when a player throws the ball to a player down the field, or at least in the direction of the line of scrimmage. A LATERAL is when a player throws the ball to a player who is next to or behind him.
2. What linebacker is famous for his toothless grin and the quote “Quarterbacks should wear dresses”?
JACK LAMBERT, Pittsburgh Steelers (1974-1984)
3. What do you call the space between the offensive and defensive line that measures the length of the football?
THE NEUTRAL ZONE
4. Which of the following fouls involve blocks below the waist?
(d) Chop Block
(e) All of the above
ALL OF THE ABOVE
5. Which trick play involves a receiver pitching the ball back to a teammate immediately after he catches it (and what is another name for it)?
HOOK AND LATERAL OR HOOK AND LADDER
6. What linebacker ended the career of Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann when he broke the QB’s leg during a Monday Night Football game in 1985?
LAWRENCE TAYLOR (New York Giants, 1981-1993)
7. Which trick play is rumored to have been developed by legendary University of Michigan coach Fielding H. Yost?
STATUE OF LIBERTY
8. Which of the following types of plays involves a wide receiver running behind the line of scrimmage toward the opposite sideline, taking the ball from the QB when he passes him?
END-AROUND: Remember, it isn’t a reverse until the receiver laterals the ball to another teammate who is running in the opposite direction, toward the other sideline.
9. TRUE or FALSE: A team can have 12 players in the huddle as long as one of the players gets off the field before lining up for the next play.
FALSE: It is illegal to have 12 players in the huddle and costs the offending team five yards.
10. For what period of time on game days do the NFL’s uniform rules apply?
FROM PRE-GAME WARM-UPS TO 90 MINUTES AFTER THE GAME
Where did I get the Cinnamon Snails recipe?
SIXTH GRADE HOME ECONOMICS CLASS
Check your score against our grading scale:
0-2: Fair Weather Fan (You know we post more than recipes, right?)
3-5: Equipment Manager (I like my water with ice.)
6-8: First Round Draft Pick (But don't get cocky...)
9-10: Head Coach (Maybe you should write this thing!)