Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Recipe Timeout: Me-Ma's Squash Casserole

Ok, so my son didn’t take a nap today, and I'm pooped.  I don’t want to half sleep through putting a lesson together, so you get a recipe.  I’m sure you’ll get over it, though, because it’s delicious and easy!  It’s from my late grandmother, Me-Ma, who was not your typical cross-stitching, cookie-baking, scrapbooking granny,* but she sure could cook.  You’ll eventually get her mouth-watering, diabetic attack-inducing, caramel icing recipe.  Someday.  If you’re good.
Ingredients:
2 cups sliced squash (about six medium squash)
1 medium onion, chopped
4 Tbsp. butter, divided
Salt & pepper to taste
½ sleeve Ritz crackers
1 egg
1 stick cheddar cheese, grated

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350°.  Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large pan (melt the rest and set aside).  Sauté onions until clear.  Add squash and sauté until tender, then add salt and pepper.  Cover pan and let mixture cool.  Crumble Ritz crackers and pour melted butter over them.  Beat egg in large bowl; add the Ritz, squash mixture and half of the cheese and mix.  Cover bottom of a greased casserole dish with a layer of the squash mixture. Cover with a layer of cheese, then add the rest of the squash, topped with the remainder of the cheese.  Bake for 20-25 minutes until heated through and the cheese is melted.
Serves 6-8
*When I was in third grade, I had to interview a grandparent about what it was like when they were growing up and write a paper.  She was my only living grandparent, and when I asked if I could ask her some questions, she replied, “I don’t do interviews.”  She was very sweet, though; she just told it like it was and wanted to keep it real.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question you want answered, a correction or a comment?